canadiancomment

Our opinions and advice to the world. Updated whenever we get around to it.

Once Again I Present...

... Mark Steyn! I know, I know. I should be sending him a cheque every month. Sorry Mark, but revenue situation here atcanadiancomment doesn't look all that great.

I know I shouldn't pull quotes from one person so often but in a sense this blog is just a means for me to record my thoughts on the world. Twenty years from now I'll be able to check out canadiancomment and say 'Yes sir, those people were as just as idiotic as I remember them'.

Anyways, on to his latest piece (free registration required). Mark lines up the 'Not In Our Name' folks and knocks them all down.

He first takes a piece out of Dominique de Villepin:
A couple of years back, I went to hear Paul Wolfowitz. I knew him only by reputation — the most sinister of all the neocons, the big bad Wolfowitz, the man whose name started with a scary animal and ended Jewishly. In fact, he was a very soft-spoken chap, who compared the challenges of the Middle East with America’s experiments in democracy-spreading after the second world war. He said he thought it would take less time than Japan, and maybe something closer to the 1989 revolutions in Eastern Europe. I would have scoffed, but he knew so many Iraqis by name — not just Ahmed Chalabi, but a ton of others.

Around the same time, I bumped into Dominique de Villepin, the French foreign minister and man of letters. He was just back from Egypt, where he’d been profoundly moved when he’d been asked to convey the gratitude of the Arab people to President Chirac for working so tirelessly to prevent a tragic war between Christianity and Islam. You don’t say, I said. And, just as a matter of interest, who asked you to convey that? He hemmed and hawed and eventually said it was President Mubarak. Being a polite sort, I rolled my eyes only metaphorically, but decided as a long-term proposition I’d bet Wolfowitz’s address book of real people against Villepin’s hotline to over-the-hill dictators. The lesson of these last weeks is that it turns out Washington’s Zionists know the Arab people a lot better than Europe’s Arabists.
Does this not remind you of anyone? I'll give you a hint... he has a home in Ottawa. Doesn't help?

Ah screw it, Paul Martin isn't worth wasting the electrons on. Spending one's time sucking up to the dictators of China or whoever happens to have a few dollars lying around must be exhausting work. Someone has to do it. It might as well be our Prime Minister.

Sorry I got off track.

Before Mark calls it a day, he also smacks around the 'peace brigade' for a while:
The other day I found myself, for the umpteenth time, driving in Vermont behind a Kerry/Edwards supporter whose vehicle also bore the slogan ‘FREE TIBET’. It must be great to be the guy with the printing contract for the ‘FREE TIBET’ stickers. Not so good to be the guy back in Tibet wondering when the freeing thereof will actually get under way. For a while, my otherwise not terribly political wife got extremely irritated by these stickers, demanding to know at a pancake breakfast at the local church what precisely some harmless hippy-dippy old neighbour of ours meant by the slogan he’d been proudly displaying decade in, decade out: ‘But what exactly are you doing to free Tibet?’ she demanded. ‘You’re not doing anything, are you?’ ‘Give the guy a break,’ I said back home. ‘He’s advertising his moral virtue, not calling for action. If Rumsfeld were to say, “Free Tibet? Jiminy, what a swell idea! The Third Infantry Division go in on Thursday”, the bumper-sticker crowd would be aghast.’

But for those of us on the arrogant unilateralist side of things, that’s not how it works. ‘FREE AFGHANISTAN’. Done. ‘FREE IRAQ’. Done. Given the paintwork I pull off every time I have to change the sticker, it might be easier for the remainder of the Bush presidency just to go around with ‘FREE [INSERT YOUR FETID TOTALITARIAN BASKET-CASE HERE]’. Not in your name? Don’t worry, it’s not.
Indeed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why is our umpteenth lawyer from Quebec in the top job, PM the PM, behaving like Dominique de Villepin? Maybe they have the same Rolodex , including Total Petroleum, Bank Paribas – Oil for Food, le familie Desmarais, CSL etc. It’s a nice tight little Club , let’s not have too much change in the Middle East or the Rolodex becomes outdated and useless. Then how would Chrétien be able to “open doors” with his oil consulting contracts? Maybe Sheila Copps who replaced Mark Steyn’s column at the National Post can comment?

nomdenet