canadiancomment

Our opinions and advice to the world. Updated whenever we get around to it.

But Seals are Cute

I have always suspected that celebrities who support anti-seal hunt organizations were most likely a little uniformed when it came to knowing all the facts about why steps are taken to control the seal population here in the Maritimes. After reading about Richard Dean Anderson, better and probably only known as TV's MacGyver, I am convinced that my suspicions are right on the mark.

While Anderson was in Charlottetown yesterday, he held a press conference in support of anti-seal hunt group, the Sea Sheperd Conversation Society, and practically admitted that he knew very little or nothing at all about the seal hunt. Here are a couple of his quotes,
"I'm at the launching point for my education of the issues,"
"I haven't seen it up close and personal yet, I'm looking to get a feeling of what it is all about."
So at this point, it sounds like all Anderson seems to know is that seals are cute and are being killed by humans for no reason other than sport. A little off the mark, but that is apparently enough to make you a director and a public spokesman for a anti-seal hunt organization such as the Sea Sheperd Conversation Society.

I guess its not all that important to get all the facts straight before you support a cause, because it really doesn't matter that seals are very much the same as locusts when their population gets out of control. They tend to overwhelm their surroundings and make life difficult for humans by devouring other major marine species that we depend on for food and income.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that every seal needs to be killed, that's just foolish, the seal hunt is only about controlling the population, not eliminating it. But it rubs me the wrong way when some high minded celebrity seems to care more about seals than the well being and economic sustainability of an entire region of humans. Call me crazy, but the well being of seals comes after humans in my book.

crossposted to The Shotgun

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

....oh, and by the way,...did you hear the one about the baby seal who walked into a club and........

Hoser said...

FYI, Richard Dean Anderson is well known as the star of Stargate SG-1 for the past 8 years, now filming season 9.

I believe his response re: not knowing all the facts, was in response to a reporter's question about the economic impact on the area if the seal hunt was banned.

Anonymous said...

Anyone remember the cheech and chong song

Save the whales
Oh, funky momma, save the whales
Yeah, Save the whales
You just got to save the whales but believe me when I tell you,
Kill the seals
Yeah, kill the seals
Cause the seals eat all the fish
And if you don't like it when I say kill the seals then,
Save your breath
oh, save your breath------

Anonymous said...

Trying to convince yourself that Canadian government is doing the right thing buy mass murderer all these seals for little money..is the most pathetic things I have ever read.
millions of people world wide againts this babaric action, so try to convince them..
and as far as I am concern those type of cold blood killers as those sealers is at the bottom of my book while animals who has never done anything wrong and is part of this earth, part of our eco systems is at the top of my lists...

Anonymous said...

Trying to convince yourself that Canadian government is doing the right thing by mass murderer all these seals for little money as $ 1,000 per household is the most pathetic things I have ever read.
millions of people world wide againts this babaric action, so try to convince them
and as far as I am concern those type of cold blood killers as those sealers is at the bottom of my book while animals who has never done anything wrong and is part of this earth, part of our eco systems is at the top of my lists...
The sad part is that we have such a corupted government. We blame seals for corupted fishing industries cause by overfishing..I guess once we run out of seals to blame we will problaby start killing those human babies because they are so many also.

Dana said...

Killing babies? What the f@#k?

So killing seals is so terrible? Please tell me your a vegan because if you aren't then you're a hipocrit.

As for those terrible Maritimers who kill seals do you intend you give up your job so that a Maritimer can do it? If you value your principles so much put your money where you mouth is.

I guess it is just good to know that you value a seal over a Maritimer. If I ever happen to see you getting mauled by a bear don't expect me to save your sorry ass. I'll just let nature take it's natural course...

Anonymous said...

It makes me sad because I can't find anyone who fucking sells seal fur.

Do you know of any places? :O