canadiancomment

Our opinions and advice to the world. Updated whenever we get around to it.

Stuff Worth Reading

Since I'm in a lazy mood today I figure I should throw some links around. Here goes:

Bruce at Autonomous Source discusses the proposed national daycare program:
Here's Ken Dryden:
[W]e know how important the early years are to our learning life. We want and need our kids to do better. And we know how.
Well, sorry Ken. I don't want you looking after my kids and filling their heads with mush. It scares me more than you can imagine, and I hope it scares a lot of other parents too. It may seem hard to believe, but all the reams of reports and studies and procedure manuals you will produce will never contain the secrets to raising children. It can never be done better by the government.
The Monger is still as pleasant as ever:
I could read this column by David Suzuki, which contains praise for Cuban organic agriculture powered by "human muscles", and hails the wonders of Soviet science (I swear I'm not kidding)...

or I could stick my tongue in a blender.
Joel Fleming tells us about a protest at his university:
These nitwits had a table set up the other day. As I was passing by, one of them jumped in my path, and informed me that "the government" had announced a hike in tuition fees, and asked me to "stand up for my rights" by signing a petition in protest. Being the smart-ass that I am, I pointed out that "the government" had done no such thing, and asked where exactly it was written that I had a right to have other people pay for my education. This confused my interlocuter, so she babbled a slogan at me: "Education shouldn't be a debt sentence" and moved on to more gullible targets.
Christopher of insert witty title here may be suffering from road rage:
Here's what it boils down to: if you want to pretend that you're a car, then you should have to make the "vroom-vroom" noise as you pedal your three thousand dollar hemmoroid machine through traffic. But until then, a little more common sense and some humility would go a long way towards ensuring that you don't end up as my new hood ornament.
Good stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dana posted this about the National Daycare program...
"It may seem hard to believe, but all the reams of reports and studies and procedure manuals you will produce will never contain the secrets to raising children. It can never be done better by the government."

That's what this anti-daycare website's been saying...

The URL of "Daycares Don't Care" is:
http://www.daycaresdontcare.org