canadiancomment

Our opinions and advice to the world. Updated whenever we get around to it.

Introducing...

the new canadiancomment!

I was gonna wait for Bob to give final input on the layout but since he doesn't bother to read my email anymore I'm putting it up anyways. Take that Bob!

Anyways, the basic changes include:

1) The layout has less whitespace which should make it easier to read things. Each post is enclosed in a grey box which should add some definition.

2) Each post generates it's own individual page. Very nice.

3) Comments will now be entered via Blogger instead of Haloscan. Blogger made a lot of changes to their commenting system which now makes it tolerable. The comments are included with the individual page as well which is nice.

4) The main post column and the sidebar doesn't mess up the page anymore.

Things that haven't been changed:

1) I considered changing the font since most sites use a font like Verdana or Georgia but I personally like the one we are using now.

2) The trackbacks are still handled by Haloscan basically because Blogger doesn't support trackbacks yet.

The major problem I introduced by the changes is that by moving the commenting system to Blogger I've caused all the old comments to be lost. I'm sorry for the inconvience but hey, that's the way it goes. If I get the time I'll make an effort to move the most recent comments to Blogger. Since you were nice enough to put up your thoughts the least I can do is try to keep the discussion going.

So let me know what you think. And be harsh if you must.

Thanks.

12 comments:

Dana said...

Sorry I'm paranoid. I just want to make sure the commenting works.

Dana said...

Unfortunately I wasn't able to put a name to each of the comments I've moved from Haloscan.

Sorry about the inconvience.

Dana said...

Wonderful. I've found out how to add the proper name to the imported Haloscan comments but now I can't edit the ones I've already done.

Peachy.

Anonymous said...

Just testing...

Anonymous said...

The first 3 times I clicked on
- other - it moved the page up and - blogger - was still selected !

Just thought I let you know Dana...

Anonymous said...

Hey I'm not complaining , I'm a consenting guinea pig here :)
but this time it was even worst , I had to click on - other - at least 7 times because it kept either moving the page up or selecting blogger one time and anonymous the next !!!

Weird !

Dana said...

I just tried it and it worked fine the first time.

Anonymous said...

It worked the first time this morning...

Looney Canuck said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Looney Canuck said...

I kinda like your new design. It's a little easier to read, probably only because it's different, or that the borders are better defined.

Have you seen mine lately? I stuck with the "Sand Dollar" template but made some changes with bordering and colors. I just didn't want to risk losing anything, so I played around for a while and found a color scheme that, well, doesn't suck. What do you think?

(This is basically the same comment as before, just written a little better)

Dana said...

Looney:

I have some bad news for you. I use Firefox to do most of my browsing and your blog is kind of messed up. The sidebar on the left is really narrow and causes the layout to go all to pieces.

It looks great in IE so your safe in that area. I'ld like to be able to tell you what is wrong with it but I would have no idea.

Just as a heads up the statistics for canadiancomment says that 35% of our visitors are using non-IE browsers.

The template I used for our new layout was taken from here and modified quite a bit till I got to what you see now.

Looney Canuck said...

Well, I checked what my blog looks like in Netscape, and you were right about the sidebar, so I moved the margin from 75% to 65% and it still doesn't work with Netscape 4.78 (probably an older version. Also, I've never even heard of Firefox, only the two famous browsers, so I don't know how much moving the margin would help. Other than that, I just made some cosmetic changes to my site since I don't consider myself a programming expert. Thanks for the information anyway.