canadiancomment

Our opinions and advice to the world. Updated whenever we get around to it.

And My Vote Goes To...

I was reading David Warren's Letter to USA, III and he makes a good point:
So let me say this to any moderate, mainstream, swing-vote, American readers I may have. The people who hate you are telling you to vote for Kerry and Edwards. I love you, and I say: Vote for Bush!
Now anyone who has read my posts over the months knows who I'd want the average American to vote for. But I'm not going to say it. If any American out there gives a damn about what I think of their election they are crazy. Perhaps very wise... nope, crazy will do.

On a related note I was shocked, shocked I tell you, to find out that The Globe And Mail endorses Kerry/Edwards. First off, why write an editorial stating the obvious? Second, how many dozens of pages would the rag dedicate to a 'bug out session' if American papers starting endorcing candidates in one of our elections? They'd have polls, 'man on the street' interviews, etc... I was bitter when Bono and Michael Moore came up here and told us how to vote. The nerve!

Anyways, will it be the end of the world if Kerry/Edwards wins? No. Will it be the end of the world if Bush/Cheney wins? Contrary to what 48% of Americans and 98% of non-Americans think... once again no.

History moves on and no matter who sleeps in the White House, Islamic Fascism will have to be confronted. Either now or in the near future. History does not care in the least who is the American President or what the average European thinks. History marchs on. Relentlessly.

Anyone who has given any thought to the matter knows that Kerry/Edwards are not serious about confronting the issue. This is not a complaint on my behalf, just a statement of fact. And though I dread the thought, I can understand how people would want to drift back to the 'decade that history forgot'. The war is not real to them. And why exactly should it be any different?

If a majority of the American public choose to not deal with the problem then the world will be forced to deal with it again sometime in the future. America chooses. Today or tomorrow. And if Americans decide that they have had enough then so be it. It is their choice to make.

I just hope that as Americans you accept the fact that history has put a huge hurdle in front of your country. America is the giant. And no matter what your intentions there will be people who will condemn everything you are or do. You either choose to deal with these people now or you will be forced to deal with them later. The choice is yours.

I'll simply end with a bit of a speech Tony Blair gave to the American people:
We are fighting for the inalienable right of humankind--black or white, Christian or not, left, right or a million different--to be free, free to raise a family in love and hope, free to earn a living and be rewarded by your efforts, free not to bend your knee to any man in fear, free to be you so long as being you does not impair the freedom of others.

That's what we're fighting for. And it's a battle worth fighting.

And I know it's hard on America, and in some small corner of this vast country, out in Nevada or Idaho or these places I've never been to, but always wanted to go...

I know out there there's a guy getting on with his life, perfectly happy, minding his own business, saying to you, the political leaders of this country, "Why me? And why us? And why America?"

And the only answer is, "Because destiny put you in this place in history, in this moment in time, and the task is yours to do."
Islamic Fascism will not be brought down with conferences, condemnations, or harsh words. I just hope it is confronted during my lifetime and not that of my children. I don't want my children to have to hear these same words spoken by a different British Prime Minister.

I end with:
Thomas Paine: "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, so that my children may have peace."

John Stuart Mill: "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
Vote your heart.

No comments: