canadiancomment

Our opinions and advice to the world. Updated whenever we get around to it.

Some Moral Clarity In The Senate

[Via Segac's World I Know]

Well thank God not everyone in our government hasn't been infected by the PC bug.

On March 30th Senator David Tkachuk spoke regarding the Israeli assasination of Sheik Ahmed Yassin:
What is of great concern to me is that we are starting to see a pattern of equivocation emerge. I fail to see how an equivocating position is good for Canadians as we witness the escalation of violence and the mounting death toll on both sides of the war. When one of Canada's ministers suggests that Israel behaved contrary to its obligations, I suggest this government is getting closer to condoning terrorist actions. When our media repeatedly defines Sheik Yassin as a spiritual leader, I disagree. I suggest that this bolsters terrorism itself. The "spiritualism" of Yassin would be considered a blasphemy by the Christian standards that I uphold, and I would suggest that the faith and values of Canada's other religions would not condone acts of extermination, something that Yassin's organization, the Hamas, holds as its mandate.

...

Honourable senators, I know how many have asked these questions, but I want to add my voice to the chorus: Who started these forms of terrorist violence? How long until we declare terrorism unacceptable? This war between Israelis and Palestinians is not merely a battle over land; it is a war between the future of civil society and a future without one.

On Thursday, March 25, the United States vetoed a Security Council resolution that condemned Israel for killing the Hamas leader, Sheikh Yassin. While the UN clearly condemned the actions of Israel with regard to Yassin, it also clearly condones the continued terrorist actions and past actions by the Hamas since these actions were not addressed in the resolution. Some countries in favour of the resolution included China, France, Russia and Pakistan, while Britain, Germany and Romania abstained.

Honourable senators, in closing I agree with Prime Minister Martin in that on one hand, Israel does a have a right to defend its sovereignty. It is unfortunate that Mr. Martin is not sure whether he believes it himself.

No comments: