canadiancomment

Our opinions and advice to the world. Updated whenever we get around to it.

Changed The Blog Again

Well I've made more changes to the blog in the hope of it working a bit better.

I've changed things so that tables aren't used for rendering everything. When I first put up canadiancomment It was like I had found a hammer and went looking for nails. The whole stinking site was rendered with tables which not only made the downloads significantly larger but it prevented the page from being rendered until it was totally downloaded.

Anyways, I'm hoping that since I'm now using CSS that the page will now come up quicker for our visitors. Anyways I hope it still looks OK and if you find anything that acts weird/strange/unusual please let me know.

I nearly had a heartattack making these changes. I spent a couple of hours getting the style sheet set up just right on a test blog so that I could see all the changes before applying them to canadiancomment. Anyways, I had moved the style sheet to my canadiancomment directory instead of copying it. Well I rebuilt canadiancomment and it over wrote the new style sheet with the default template. I though I had just wasted a couple hours of my life. I looked in the cache of my other computer and thank God it was in there. A grown man in tears is not a pretty site.

The primary benefit to the changes is that canadiancomment should look more consistant between different browsers. The previous implementation of canadiancomment looked fine on IE but on Mozilla and Opera it didn't render quite as well. I'm sure that Mozilla and Opera are more standards complient but that's beside the point.

Now if I can just figure out how to get word wrap/break to work on Mozilla I'll be all set.

No comments: